So, the Oscars are over for another year, after an action-packed awards show last night. If you didn’t pick up an Academy award this year (and last face it, that’s probably most of us) then don’t worry because there is a way to help you at least pretend that you’re in an Oscar-winning film. I’ve picked out some of my favourites from past winners and come up with ideas of games to play that will help you reinact the action from the movies.
- Platoon (1985) – Oliver Stone’s moving portrayl of the war in Vietnam certainly paints an impression of what it must have been like to fight in it. If you really want to relive the horrors of the conflict yourself then check out The Hell in Vietnam, where you assume the role of a US Officer who must lead a platoon of men through eight treacherous expeditions.
- Driving Miss Daisy (1989) – One of my all-time favourites in which Morgan Freeman must chauffeur round the crabby Jessica Tandy. Step into Freeman’s world by installing Super Taxi Driver on your PC. You’ll need driving skills as well as a whole lot of patience as you strive to get your passengers to their destinations in time.
- Unforgiven (1992) – The excellent Morgan Freeman again shines, this time alongside Clint Eastwood and Gene Hackman in a gun-slinging tale. Want to know what it feels like to be a rootin’-tootin’ outlaw? Get hold of the demo of Desperados 2 and you’ll find out. You can take on the role of one of six heroes as you shoot your way through an engrossing storyline.
- Titanic (1997) – I wasn’t so sure about this film but I’ve always been intriuged by the story so I love playing Hidden Expedition: Titanic. As part of the Hidden Expedition Adventure League, it is your job to explore the wreckage of this once-majestic ship and collect antique artifacts for the Titanic Museum. There are an incredible 17 diving missions on 17 locations on the liner.
- A Beautiful Mind (2001) -If you want to put yourself in the shoes of troubled mathematical genius John Forbes Nash (played by Russell Crowe in the movie) then download Math Ninja. You must complete a series of numerical challenges based around multiplication, addition, subtraction and division. I’m sure Nash would even struggle with some of the later levels.