BlackBerry Messenger for iPhone is finally available. After months of waiting, the popular messaging app gets a little more universal with a release on Apple’s huge mobile platform. The app is now available in the App Store for free. Android users got early access to BBM yesterday.
The application itself is nearly identical to the version we saw on BlackBerry 10. With the app you’ll have access to the following features:
- BBM Chat: start chatting with your friends on BlackBerry, Android, and iPhone. The service sends a notification when a message is received and read. In addition, you can easily share photos and voice messages.
- Group Chat: BBM will allow group conversations with up to 30 of your friends. Group chat allows sending of calendar events and photos. This is a great way to broadcast your message to all your friends at once.
- Update your profile: you can easily change your status or upload a new profile picture from within the app. You can view your friends’ statuses too.
- PIN: for security, each BBM users will be required to have a unique PIN number.
- Video and voice calling coming soon: while this initial iPhone release doesn’t come with video or voice chat, the company said that the features will be included in a future update.
For many years, BlackBerry’s killer messaging app was only available on its own platform but by expanding to iPhone, the company is positioning itself to fight against other messaging applications like WhatsApp and LINE.
What’s your messaging app of choice? Let us know in the comments.
Download BlackBerry Messenger for iPhone.