Instagram is the without doubt the go-to app on iPhone and Android for snapping, editing, and sharing pictures with on the web. If you have Instagram linked to various other social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, that means a lot of people will end up seeing your photos and their comments.
Instagram treats captions and comments in exactly the same way. In fact, the caption you add when you first publish an image on Instagram is actually just the first comment on that image. So deleting captions and deleting comments is exactly the same process. The only problem with deleting a caption is if there are any other comments on the image, you won’t be able to create a new caption and have it appear as the first comment. Bear that in mind before deleting!
1. Log into your Instagram account. Click on the far right bottom button to open your profile.
2. You’ll see a grid of all your images. Select one with a comment you want to delete.
3. Hit the comment button below the photo.
4. Now the pencil button in the upper right.
5. From there, just tap the red X on any comments you’d like to delete. If you happen to delete your caption, you can opt to type another one by filling in the comment box below and clicking “Send.”
1. Log into your Instagram account. Click on the bottom right button to pull up your profile.
2. You’ll see a grid of all your images. Tap an image to view its comments.
3. Hit the Comment button below the photo.
4. Tap the comment you want to delete. The comment will slide a little to the left, revealing comment controls.
5. Hit the delete button and then choose whether you’d just like to delete the comment, or also report it to Instagram for obscenity or spam.
Currently you can’t edit comments on Instagram. Deleting a comment is the next best thing, though.
[Article originally published in August 2012]