So you want to surf online from the comfort of your own home using a smartphone or tablet, but you don’t have a wireless router? With Windows, you can turn your PC into a Wi-Fi hotspot in a few easy steps. You can also use this trick at work or in college to get fast mobile internet access. We’re going to show you how to do it.
Here we explained how you can make your Android Smartphone into a hotspot
1. Check if your network driver supports hosted networks
On individual computers, Virtual Router Plus can’t access the local network. The driver for your network card must support hosted networks. You check if this is the case in two simple steps.
- Press the Windows key and R. Type CMD in the character field Open and click OK.
- A window appears with the Windows command line. Enter the command netsh wlan show drivers and press Enter or Return. Windows then lists details of your network drivers. If at Supported Hosted Networks the entry is Yes, then you can set up a wifi hotspot.
2. If your PC has no wireless adapter: Buy a USB wireless adapter and connect it:
You can buy a USB Wireless LAN adapter online for less than five dollars. Insert the adapter into an available USB port and you’re ready to go. Drivers are unnecessary in most cases – Windows automatically detects the device.
3. Install Virtual Router Plus
Download Virtual Router Plus and install the program.
4. Starting and adjusting Virtual Router Plus
The freeware requires only three simple pieces of information: Under Network Name (SSID), enter a name. Then enter a secure password (as secure as possible) and choose your internet connection for Shared Connection. Click on Start Virtual Router to activate your personal Wi-Fi hotspot.
5. Connect the mobile device
Your Windows Wi-Fi hotspot now shows as an available network on your mobile device. After entering the password, you can use the internet connection from your PC on your tablet, laptop, or smartphone.
Image: Private screenshot via Placeit
Troubleshooting: Hotspot cannot be found
If your mobile device can’t find the Wi-Fi hotspot, click on Stop Virtual Router in Virtual Router Manager, and then on Start Virtual Router again. Use this method to solve any connection problems, but we’re fairly confident you won’t have any.