A few weeks before summer’s arrival, many of us go on diet in a desperate attempt to get rid of all those spare tyres before having to show our bodies in a swimsuit.
The same could be applied to computers: there are light alternatives to the heavy software big shots that can do the job almost as well, taking up less space, memory and system resources.
We’ve gathered some of them for you, so that you can put your PC on a diet too.
- Instead of using the actual Quicktime, have a look at Media Player Classic, with support for lots of video formats.
- Using Acrobat Reader for those PDF files? Forget about it: Foxit Reader opens up much faster and works equally well.
- If you still use ACDsee to view your pictures, it’s time for you to test IrfanView and see what this amazing program can do.
- Forget about listening to music with Winamp, try XMplay instead and enjoy your favorite songs just the same.
- The Nero recording suite is the definition of bloated software: if you just want to record a simple CD or DVD, try Express Burn.