For years, iPhones have kept us well-informed about the health of their batteries. Now, with the release of the iPhone 15, Apple has introduced a feature that many have been eagerly waiting for: the ability to see the specific number of charge cycles of the battery.
Previously, the methods to access this information on an iPhone were either unofficial, through third-party apps, or complicated, like copying and pasting analysis into the Notes app and searching for “last_value_CycleCount.” But now, with the iPhone 15, all of that has changed.
Very useful information for making informed decisions
According to some screenshots shared on X, with the new iPhone 15, we can access this information simply by going to Settings > General > About. In this section, there is a new section called “Battery,” where, in addition to the number of charge cycles, the battery’s production date and the date of its first use are displayed.
But what does a charge cycle exactly mean, and why is it important? A charge cycle is recorded each time the battery is fully depleted. In other words, it’s not necessary for the battery to be completely drained in a single instance to register a cycle. For example, if on one day, you use 75% of the battery’s capacity and then fully recharge it overnight, and on the following day, you use the remaining 25%, it will count as one complete charge cycle. These cycles are crucial for determining the health and lifespan of a battery because over time, its capacity diminishes slightly with each cycle.
This new feature is accompanied by another innovation in battery management for the iPhone 15. As we reported yesterday, these devices come with an option that, when activated, prevents the battery from charging beyond 80%, which can help prolong its lifespan.
These small details allow us to have a deeper understanding of the state and health of our devices. With the iPhone 15, we’ll have a clearer view of a key component that is important to care for, and now we can do so with more data to make the best decisions in order to maximize the lifespan of the batteries.