Popular 3D modelling tool, Blender, has a new version out which includes not only the expected bug fixes but also a few interesting new features. The most significant additions are complete 64-bit compatibility and the brand new Subsurface Scattering material option which is designed to help with rendering of complex surfaces like skin or marble.
Full list of additions and updates:
- Fully 64-bit compatible
- New modifers were added (“Smooth” and “Cast”)
- A couple of composite nodes were added
- A revamp of the old mesh primitives was done
- Blender 2.44’s new long-awaited but unexpected feature: subsurface scattering (SSS) support!
- Bullet physics engine updated