Playing Minecraft with friends is great, but playing with people you don’t know can ruin the fun. A solution is to create your own VPN server that only you and your friends can access. Theoretically, when creating a VPN network everyone will be able to play Minecraft in a server, hidden from the lurking eyes of other players.
The most common VPN software used is Hamachi. Hamachi is an easy to use VPN client that doesn’t require a lot of work to install and setup, but everyone who is planning on joining your secret match will have to install Hamachi. Just think of it as a rotating server between your friends.
- Download and run the Minecraft Server Installer jar file. Run the program and watch various information load through the console. The purpose of running the server installer is to create a properties file that will need to be edited.
- Download and install Hamachi. Remember that everyone who is going to play on the private server needs to install Hamachi.
- After registering Hamachi, you will see an IP address assigned by the program. This is the IP that everyone will be using to access the server.
- You now need to setup the network in Hamachi. Select “Network” then “Create a new network.” Assign a Network ID and password. You will need to share this information with your friends so they can log-in.
- Find the Minecraft “server.properties” file and open it with Notepad. Find and enter the IP address you got from Hamachi after the “=” (equals sign) to assign the server IP.
- Start the Minecraft server.
- You can now have your friends sign-in with the information you gave them through Hamachi by “joining an existing network.”
Now you can have private Minecraft multiplayer sessions!