MX Player is an app developed by MX Media & Entertainment (formerly J2 Interactive) for watching videos and listening to audio on your smartphone or PC. It’s so popular that more than 280 million people use it worldwide. It’s free to download and supports nearly all video formats, so you won’t have to install multiple media players to watch videos made in different formats.
Once you’ve downloaded MX Player, you’ll be able to watch videos from streaming sites downloaded from the internet or your own videos that you’ve shot with the camera on your phone. An extra bonus is that you’ll be able to share them with others.
Download and install
Head to the MX Player download page and click Download to prepare it for installation on your Android phone. Once the app has been downloaded, install it on your Android phone. You’ll be asked to give various permissions (listed below in this article) while downloading. There are quite a lot but don’t skip them. You need to give the permissions for the app to work properly on your device.
Easily zoom in and out by using your finger to swipe across your phone’s screen. You can also pan and scroll forward or backwards to move to the next or previous text or move text up or down. You can also zoom in or out to change the size of the text.
Relax and enjoy the exciting range of videos that will be available to you without worrying about the format they’re recorded in.
Features of MX Player
MX Player has many features that make it the most popular video streaming app for Android phones. Here are some of them:
- It’s a powerful video player with advanced hardware acceleration and subtitle support.
- It can apply hardware acceleration to videos with its HW+ decoder.
- MX Player is the first Android video player that supports multi-core decoding, which works up to 70% better than single-core decoding.
- Zooming in and out is easy.
- It allows the fast transfer of files without using mobile data. You can share files, music, and video.
- You can change the size of the text.
- There’s a child lock to prevent children from touching other applications.
Subtitle formats included
Subtitles come in many formats and MX Player can handle most of them, including DVD, DVB, SSA/*ASS* subtitle tracks, SubStation Alpha(.ssa/.*ass*), and SAMI(.smi) with Ruby tag support, to name a few. It means you can easily view subtitles when watching your favorite videos.
Permissions required during download
When you download MX Player, you will be asked for many permissions, which some users find irritating. But don’t ignore them. They are necessary to ensure that the app runs properly. Here is an explanation of what they are and why you need them:
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: to read media files in your storage areas.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: to rename or delete files and store downloaded subtitles.
- LOCATION: to find nearby friends for file transfers.
- NETWORK and WIFI: to get network status for activities like licence and update checking. Wifi is also used for faster file transfers.
- BLUETOOTH: to improve AV sync when Bluetooth is connected for file transfers.
- CAMERA: to scan QR codes for file transfers.
- INTERNET: to play internet streams.
- VIBRATE: to control vibration feedback.
- WAKE_LOCK: to stop your phone from sleeping when you’re watching a video.
- KILL_BACKGROUND_PROCESSES: to stop MX Player services used in background play.
- DISABLE_KEYGUARD: to prevent secure screen lock when Kids Lock is on.
- SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW: to block some keys when Kids Lock is on.
- DRAW OVER OTHER APPS: to block system buttons when input blocking is activated on the playback screen.
Why install and use MX Player?
This video player is popular for a very good reason. It runs really well and is easy to use. It opens up a wealth of video material to you on your phone for maximum enjoyment and easy accessibility. It’s vastly superior to the standard app your phone comes with for watching videos. It’s also free unless you want to upgrade to a paid version with no ads.
You may also want to make a playlist for your top tunes. Here’s a quick guide on how to create a list on MX Player.