Although uTorrent is a secure BitTorrent client, it is not private. Anyone can access your downloads and see your download history or trace the downloads back to you. You might want to add another layer of security and set up a proxy.
A proxy disguises your IP address as another one, so download links cannot be traced back to you. Let’s see how you can set up a proxy in uTorrent.
Go to ‘Preferences’
Run uTorrent on your computer by clicking on the icon on your desktop, start menu, or dock. Once the torrent downloader window opens, click on ‘Options’ in the top menu bar. From the drop-down list, click ‘Preferences’
Go to ‘Connections’
In the preferences window that opens, click on the ‘Connections’ tab in the menu on the left side of the window to access the proxy settings.
Choose SOCKS5 Proxy
– Under Proxy Server, click on the drop-down list next to Proxy Type and choose SOCKS5.
– Set up your proxy server address. If you use a VPN, you can add their details here.
– Insert the port type as 1080 for SOCKS5.
– Now enable the following settings ‘Authentication’, ‘Use Proxy for Hostname Lookups’, ‘Use Proxy for Peer-to-Peer Connections’, ‘Disable all Local DNS Lookups’, ‘Disable Features that Leak Identifying Information’ and ‘Disable Connections Unsupported by Proxy’.
– To finish the setup, you need to insert your username and password in the areas specified. Your proxy service would have given you these details.
Use a Proxy to Remain Untraceable
Using a proxy with services such as uTorrent, you can increase your security and anonymity. As the proxy protects your IP address and keeps it private, you can be sure that no one can track your downloads with uTorrent and similar programs.