A while back, we showed you how to uninstall Windows Live Messenger 2011. However, if you are are still having problems uninstalling it or finding that components are left behind, there is another solution.
Here is a very simple step-by-step guide about how to completely uninstall Windows Live Messenger 2011 using Revo Uninstaller. Note that this method works for any version of Windows Live Messenger although older versions may not be listed on your system as “Windows Live Essentials”.
1. Download and install Revo Uninstaller.
2. Open Revo Uninstaller and select “Windows Live Essentials”.
3. Click “Yes” when prompted:
4. Select the “Moderate Uninstall Mode”. Advanced can also be used but isn’t necessary:
5. Revo Uninstaller will then detect which elements need removing.
6. At this stage, Windows Live Messenger may intercept the installation. If you want to remove the entire Windows Live Suite, select all the checkboxes. If you only want to remove Windows Live Messenger, just select that.
7. You will then see both Revo Uninstaller and Windows Live Essentials uninstaller working in tandem:
8. Windows Live Essentials uninstaller will then inform you that the process is done but do not click Restart Now. Click Restart Later
9. Revo Uninstaller will then continue the uninstallation process.
10. It will then display the left over Registry items which need to be removed. I have drilled down to reveal the location of the files but it’s sufficient to just to click “Select All”. It is then very important that you click “Delete” before clicking “Next”. If you don’t delete the files before clicking next, they will remain in your Registry and the whole process will have to be repeated (meaning you’ll probably have to re-install Windows Live Messenger again).
Windows Live Messenger is now completely uninstalled.