WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Skype….there are countless VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) apps available. VoIP apps – in case you didn’t know – allow you to use the internet as a form of transmission for phone calls that send voice data using IP.
Basically, these apps let you call for free, even though you’ll still be using your mobile data to make the calls (which of course will cost you). Of course, if you can get on a Wi-Fi connection, it’s even better!
So, with so many apps to choose from, all offering these “free calls”, where do you turn? Well, we’re glad you asked, because we’ve put together five great solutions to suit five different types of people. All you have to worry about is finding the one that best suits your lifestyle, and you’ve got a match!
Skype is by far one of the most popular VoIP apps worldwide. Not only because it was one of the first ever to offer free calls (and video calls), but also the quality of their service has always been impeccable. You can download Skype without having to subscribe to anything at all.
3 reasons why you should choose Skype:
- Skype is a very business-friendly app, therefore if you need to talk with people for work purposes, or interview somebody far away, Skype is the answer.
- Would you like to talk to numerous family, friends and colleagues at the same time, Skype’s group call feature is flawless.
- To make international calls with Skype is extremely cheap. If you travel a lot or have relatives outside the country, you should really consider Skype as an option.
Skype VoIP is your app if you’re a business person and / or need to make national or international calls frequently. You can download Skype right here.
WhatsApp is a strange recommendation. To start with, this application has been among the last to introduce voice calls within its service, and the truth is the quality is neither good nor bad. It doesn’t excel in the voice department, so why are we recommending it to you? Well, it’s purely down to convenience. Almost everyone has WhatsApp, and the way you make a call using the app, is much easier than any of the others.
3 reasons why you should use WhatsApp
- The popularity of WhatsApp is a huge plus. If you have to make an emergency call to someone, this app is possibly your best bet.
- Adding contacts on WhatsApp is normally already done for you from your existing contacts.
- Recent news indicates that WhatsApp is planning to add features such as an answering machine for WhatsApp calls, meaning you’ll never upset anyone again when you don’t pick up!
WhatsApp is the one for you if your only concern is keeping in touch with your friends on a regular basis. You can download WhatsApp here.
Hangouts is the alternative to Skype for all you diehard Google fans out there. Although at first, very few believed in the app, it seems its popularity is on the up, thanks to its great group chat features, and ease of use.
3 reasons why you should use Hangouts
- Almost everyone has a Google account. If you have Google, you have Hangouts. If you have Hangouts, it’s super easy to call or write your contacts. The same goes if you’re an Android user.
- Making a call with Hangouts, be it voice or video, is much faster and easier that its rivals. If you prefer to talk face to face, albeit virtually, instead of texting, you’ll love Hangouts.
- Similar to Skype, Hangouts is an excellent choice for group conversations. It doesn’t matter if people join or leave the conversation, as the service caters perfectly for the unpredictability of humans!
Hangouts is you VoIP app if you’re an extrovert with loads of friends and you like to have group conversations. You can download Hangouts right here.
4. Facebook Messenger
The calls of Facebook Messenger are really good quality, but it takes longer to establish a connection than the other VoIP providers. One of the coolest features of Messenger is that you can leave voice messages if your contact was unable to answer you call.
3 reasons why you should use Facebook Messenger
- As is the case with WhatsApp, 99% of the people you know are on Facebook. If you have Facebook, you have Messenger.
- The Messenger communication options are much more versatile than the other apps. It’s very easy to talk and text at the same time.
- The audio quality and range makes Messenger a great option for chatting to someone while you’re doing some work.
Facebook Messenger is your VoIP if you consider yourself a person who likes your home comforts and prefers a quiet conversation without pausing. It’s also great at helping you keep in touch with those friends you may have forgotten about but still have on Facebook! You can download Facebook Messenger right here.
At first glance, Viber may seem like a cheaper-looking Skype, because let’s be honest, Skype surpasses Viber in everything – the design and interface, call quality, etc, but there is one great reason why Viber is still a great option – it uses the least amount of mobile data for all of its services.
3 reasons why you should use Viber
- Viber uses about 250KB if data per minute when you call – which is much less than Skype. In return, Viber has a lower level of quality, however you can make that sacrifice if you’re without Wi-Fi and have low data coverage.
- Its web version is more refined than others, such as the very poor WhatsApp Web version. It also lets you play with one of its best features – its stickers!
- Although the Skype’s call quality is much higher than Viber’s, Viber allows you to switch from Wi-Fi to 3G/4G or vice versa without ending the call.
Viber is your VoIP app if your life circumstances require you to make a lot of voice calls with little access to Wi-Fi. Do you need to save data? Well, Viber is the one for you. You can download Viber here.